Bodegas Amézola de la Mora is owned and managed by sisters Maria and Cristina de Amézola. Their great-great grandfather first built the winery in 1816. Today, Cristina serves as the winemaker while Maria is responsible for the general management. At the end of the 19th Century, Phylloxera struck the vineyards but in the 1970s Iñigo and Javier Amézola de la Mora replanted the vineyards and ultimately rebuilt the winery in 1987.
The family only uses fruit from their own 148 acres to create their classic Rioja wine which emphasize balance and elegance. All of the labels are designed by the Basque artist, Pablo Ugartetxea, a close family friend.